Monday, November 9, 2009

Talented Guests and Getting to Know - OURSELVES!


It was an exciting week and weekend for Osoyoos Christian Centre!

We were very blessed to have guests visiting with us - Jussi and Leena, from Delta. Jussi delivered word from the pulpit. A powerful message and as one of the congregation mentioned to me, some entertaining and amusing observations (one part drawing a parallel between someone 'speeding' in this day and age which might mean going 110 mph in a car compared to 'way back then' the same may have been true of a young man racing on a camel!) But the underlying message being a subject of relevance delivered in a timely manner for our church body. Thank you, Jussi.


Jussi and Leena




And it seems Jussi's lovely wife
Leena is gifted as well, for she blessed us with her singing of "Standing on Holy Ground. For those of you who missed it, you may listen to her by clicking PLAY button on the audio player below!





Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io





Saturday night
our church was filled with music and activity. It was a Crafts and Jam night and we had instruction happening in the sanctuary. The rest of us could be found in the basement assembling shoeboxes for children as part of the Operation Shoebox ministry of Samaritan's Purse. We had several young ladies (Asia, Amy and Amber) who helped create an assembly line which allowed us to fill the boxes in record time.




Our women's group met for bible study on Tuesday, covering some of Part 2 of "Friendships of Women" of an 11 part series from Midday Connection. I was honoured to be able to host it at my (Barb) house for this particular one and it was a special time of getting to fellowship. Rose will be hosting this week - please call if you need information or a ride. More details in the EVENTS section of this post. Angie has allowed me to share the following poem here on the blog - it's called LISTEN and it reminds us that one important quality of being a good friend is to be a 'good listener'. I remember someone pointing out to me at one time that God gave us ONE mouth and TWO ears and that should remind us that we should LISTEN twice as much as we SPEAK.




LISTEN

When I ask you to listen to me and you give me advice,
You have not done what I asked.

When I ask you to listen to me and you tell me I shouldn't feel the way I do,
You are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to solve my problem,
You have failed me, strange as that may seem.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself,
You contribute to my fear and weakness.

I can do for myself. I'm not helpless.
Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.

Listen! All I asked, was that you listen.
I did not ask you to talk or do, just hear me.

Advice is cheap:
A buck will get you both Dear Abby and Billy Graham
in the same newspaper.

But when you accept my irrational feelings as simple fact,
Then I can begin to understand what's behind them.

When that is clear, the solutions will come,
And I won't need advice.

Perhaps that's why prayer works.

God does not give advice or try to fix things.
He just open minds to new ideas
and lets people work it out for themselves.

So please, listen and simply hear me.
If you want to talk, please wait a minute for your turn -
then I will listen to you.

~ anonymus

*****

PRAYER REQUESTS:

Kaye - still recovering from illness

Jussi and Leena - as they travel, coming to us again from Delta this coming weekend

Jim and Elaine - as they minister in their new location at Colwood

Nathan - as he works towards becoming a teacher

Marie and Cecil - for Cecil's health, and for Marie as she looks after him

Amalia and Alfredo Sommer - as they begin their missions in Argentina

Unnamed - for a woman, suffering a terminal illness. She has given two members of our church permission to pray for her and WITH her in the coming weeks.

PRAISE:

Our church was able to fill about a dozen boxes for underpriveledged children!

COMING EVENTS:


Women's Bible Study - at Rose Johnson's house. Please call me if you need directions. 250-495-3516. "homework" from last weeks meeting includes sharing a prayer need for YOURSELF, and also a poem, scripture or thought of your own on the subject of Friendship. We will pick up the final secion of part 2 of the audio series.

Potluck Luncheon - Sunday, November 15th. This will be a simple sandwhiches and soup buffet. If you can provide a soup or a plate of sandwhiches it would be appreciated. I will call all on our church registry for those who do not have email. Shirley will be providing her yummy pies for dessert.

Speaking of Lunch, Luncheon, Food ... (my mind goes ahead of me, imagine what my husband has to put up with! LOL) Leila has now provided the recipe for the delicious Butternut Squash Soup she made for the last get together. I've typed it all out, added a picture of it and you can click on the PDF format recipe below to view it or hit the PRINT at the top of the viewer!

THANK YOU Leila, your soup was impressive and I know I will be attempting it in the future!


Butternut Squash Soup










No comments: