Wednesday, May 27, 2009

WHO'S DRIVING?




click to view larger


This is a photo I took yesterday as my husband and I were driving to town. He noticed it appears that nobody is driving the car! I carry my camera with me in my purse wherever it goes - and its not a small compact, either.

This caused me to think of driving and how the very human side of me does not always want to be the passenger - no, somehow I always wind up somehow sliding over into the drivers seat. And when I get there I complain about how long the trip is, the cost of the gas,how much trouble it is to get from point A to point B, about having to pay attention and missing out on the scenery. About the other drivers. Complain, complain, complain. And then, when I stop and think about it a bit I realize that many of these times I did not even need to be driving. Somehow, I pushed my own chauffeur over to the passenger seat and WILLINGLY put myself in the drivers seat. Yes, I'm talking about spiritually.

God as the driver, me as passenger. I start off as a passenger, relaxed and eager to simply trust and enjoy. He already has the car serviced, gassed up and ready to go. He's mapped out where our journey will take us and He's promised to travel with me so I'm never alone. He will provide EVERYTHING for our trip. But somewhere along the way I decide I want to be in control, even though He's an expert. I push Him out of the driver's seat and into the passenger seat - sometimes right into the BACK seat - and then I complain as if I HAD to drive.

And then, only later after I get tired, or lost or break down do I ask Him to take control. Why does it always take a roadblock of some sort for us to give up control? I've got to constantly remind myself that God has a plan for my life. He's waiting to travel along with me and keep me company for the entire journey and to see to all my needs along the way. If I allow Him to drive I can get to know Him better and even enjoy the scenery along the way.

There is a guide that never falters,
And when He leads I cannot stray,
For step by step He goes before me,
And marks my path, He knows the way.

Oft times the path grows dim and dreary,
The darkness hides the cheering ray,
Still I will trust, tho worn and weary,
My Saviour leads, He knows the way.

He knows the evils that surround me,
The turnings that could lead astray,
No foes of night can ere confound me,
For Jesus leads, He knows the way.

~ unknown


I'm sorry this is a short post today - I am behind after being away last weekend and busy this week with some work projects. I will be online for our MSN chat tonight from 7 -8 pm. I would love to spend some time with you if you can make it!

NOTE: We are accetping donations of cake mixes to make cupcakes to serve at the concert being held at our Church on June 24th when Penny Johnson will be performing for us. Please bring your cake mixes with you to Church on Sunday!

1 comment:

VJ's Scrap Room said...

Wonderful post! How true!If only we ALL would understand how much God has truly done FOR us..so that we can REST...and enjoy the ride!:)

Now..scoot over!!LOL

Thanks for sharing:) LOVE the poem too!

Hugs,
Valinda